Thursday, August 17, 2006

Waiting to Take Off

We here at the International House of Prayer live in a world where apostolic leadership is mentioned quite a bit. Last night in my class at Forerunner School of Ministry, we were discussing what it means to be an apostle - what it means to have apostolic calling and apostolic authority. Some of the students were expressing frustration that they knew they were called to be forerunners - to lead the way for a new generation to reach the world for Christ - but they were not being used. They were just sitting still hearing the same messages over and over and over, but never going anywhere. Then 1 Thessalonians came into the discussion. Paul stated that he had apostolic authority and could have made "demands" on the people of Thessalonica "as an apostle of Christ." (2:6) Instead, however, he chose a different route. He stresses a contrast. He uses 2 pictures that reveal his heart. He says that he treated them "as a nursing mother" and in that light he used words like cherish and affection and longing. (2:7) Then he leaves that image and moves to another. He says that he treated the people "as a father does his own children." (2:11) Here he uses words like exhort, comfort, and charge (challenge). And so we were able to see that God has us sitting on the runway -- holding us back -- keeping us from taking off -- until He has formed in us the heart of a nursing mother and a comforting father. Until we can view the people to whom we are called to minister with that kind of parental care, God will keep us waiting to take off. May we cooperate with Him so that we can step into the calling He has for us all -- to prepare the world for the return of the Bridegroom!

6 comments:

Jerry James said...

Tom,
I had your blog listed as a favorite and for whatever reason it was stuck on 10 feet tall. Then I got the impression from someone elses comment that you were new to the blog world. So I thought you had only posted once, so I commented encouraging you to blog again and then Tarah tells me you blog all the time . . . anyway, I have found you now and enjoy your thoughts.
I am anxious to "take off", but know that I am so not ready. It is easy to get consumed with the cares of this world. So many things to deal with leaving little time to tune my engine and fuel up.
I want my plane to be one not in the hanger, but on the runway with my engine running waiting for the clear to take off sign from control tower. Oh, how I long to fly . . . not just for fun, but with clear vision, purpose and destination - on a "mission from
God". I believe we were made for this.

Tom Mills said...

Yeah...I get on to Tarah all the time that she needs to blog more often.

I'm ready for my heart to get right so that I can be moved into take off position!

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Tom,

Great thoughts! You should consider telling all of your students about your blog.

Tom Mills said...

Hadn't thought about that - guess I thought that if I advertised it, I'd actually be forced to come up with a coherent thought or two.

Anonymous said...

that's the danger with telling people about blogs... the need for coherency... esp for those of us who only manage to think twice a year, and when we do its a big, big occasion.

I'm doing well this year though, I've had 3, maybe 4 'thoughts'. Usually I don't have the second until sometime around Christmas...

Anonymous said...

Tom - Excellent post. I know that I struggle with the feeling that if I'm not active something's wrong. I always forget that a seed just sits under that dirt for a while before it shows up, and I really always forget that it's not about me. Thanks for the encouragement to trust and love the Lord.