Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Sad Tomato Plants


As may remember (or maybe not), I ventured into the potted gardening world (that's gardening in pots rather than gardening while potted ... er... never mind) by growing three tomato plants. Unfortunately, some visitors came calling and they REALLY liked my little plants. They are called "tomato hornworms" and they look just as nasty as they sound.

The one pictured is really quite attractive compared to the ones that jumped my unsuspecting and helpless plants. I say helpless because I refused to used inseticide of any kind. That then made it necessary for me to remain ever vigilant (which I obviously did not do).

My lack of attentiveness cost me dearly. My tomato plants were stripped bare in a matter of minutes it seemed. These efficient plant killing machines left my plants devastated. Ah well -- lessons learned are hard, but rewarding -- I'll pay more attention next year.

No comments: