Thursday, August 10, 2006

33 Years and Counting

Tomorrow, August 11, Debbie and I celebrate 33 years of marriage. THIRTY THREE YEARS!!! Thinking back on those years, I am amazed. We've lived in 10 different houses. We've lived in 7 different cities. We lived in 3 different states. We've had four pregnancies and we have three children. Debbie miscarried in Tulsa, Oklahoma as we traveled to our first church following graduation from seminary. One day we will meet that child. Our three children are truly the joys of our life -- and then there are the "children-in-law" and the grandkids. God is so good!! I remember the first sermon I ever preached, before going off to seminary, was on a strong and lasting marriage! I was an expert! I had been married all of 8 months when I preached that message. I remember a synical man coming to me after that sermon saying, "Talk to me after 10 years and tell me if you feel the same." Well, I'm sure that man has gone on to his eternal residence by now, but if he were still around I would tell him, "Yes, I still feel the same, and then some." I didn't have a clue how much better it would be than I was able to describe after only 8 months. I could go on and on, but I will leave it at this: Thank you Debbie for 33 years of wonder and joy and peace and excitement and laughter and tears and faithfulness. And at times (probably more than she will ever admit) thank you for hanging in there by pure grit. You are precious to me and I don't tell you that nearly often enough. I love you!



Here are "Tommy's Angels" -- guess which one is the mom!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Guys! That's aweome. I thought you were looking extra 'in love' in the prayer room this week.

Esther Irwin said...

Congrats, Tom & Debbie. Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple!! May God bless you with another 30 years!