Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Obedient Children

1 Peter was written to a group of people that were experiencing pretty severe persecution. Peter tells them that "the end of all things is at hand" but before he says those significant words, he gives them several comparisons according to which they need to shape their lives. The first one Peter uses is "as obedient children." (Others are "as newborn babes," "as living stones," "as sojourners and pilgrims," "as bondservants," and finally after the end of all things comment, "as good stewards.") Anyway, one of the great problems with "obedience" is that we humans think that it simply means "keeping all (or most) (or some) of the rules." But when you read what Peter says next, you realize that obedience isn't keeping the rules at all. Here, let me show you what I mean by letting you read 1 Peter 1:14-17.

... as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear..."

Now as you look at that, there are comments about conduct and fear, but the real feel of the verse centers around the relationship between the Father and His children. You get the idea that an obedient child is not one that just keeps the rules; instead, there is the very definite sense that an obedient child is one that wants to be just like his father. When Paul tells the Ephesians (5:1) to "be imitators of God and live a life of love" he is expressing what Peter is talking about. An obedient child is one that imitates his father. In this case, the imitation of the Father is holiness.

Perhaps I can explain it better by an illustration from the life of a parent (which I am). I told my children often how they were to behave -- I told them what to do -- I told them the rules. And they kept those rules as long as I was watching and constantly repeating them. But that wasn't obedience -- at least not Biblical obedience. However, the day came when my kids did what I wanted them to do without being told -- in fact, they did things that were important to me because they had adopted my values as their own. They were "imitating" me. Now, I'm not saying that by their imitation of me they were being holy, but I am saying that by their imitation of me they were being obedient.

Now, put that into the context of 1 Peter and you discover what he is talking about. When he says, "be holy in all your conduct," he isn't saying "Keep the rules because God says so." Instead, he is saying, "Keep the rules because you want to be just like your heavenly Father." When you do that, when we do what is in God's heart because it is in your heart, when you act like God because you want to be just like Him, then you are being an obedient child. And being an obedient child is the first step in preparing for "the end of all things."

1 comment:

Esther Irwin said...

Tom, is this anything like hearing yourself say something and realise you sound exactly like your mother? Stuff you swore you would never say or do to your kids and you find yourself doing or saying things just like your parents? Is that obedience?