Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Maui Wowie 4

Thought I'd take a minute to check in and share a few more photos with you. The sights, sounds, and smells are just amazing!

Today is a bit rainy, though, so I took some time to study. I've been working on some teaching I will do when I return. It relates to the celebration of the Lord's Supper and healing. I've been studying 1 Corinthians and I've discovered that we seem to have really missed the point of 1 Corinthians 11 related to self-examination, sickness and communion. It appears that the primary thrust of the text in conjunction with the focus of the entire book has to do with "discerning the body" in the elements. We have a tendency to focus on our own personal sins (which is necessary), but it really focuses on our understanding of our sins in relation to the entire Body of Christ. When we don't see how our personal sins impact the entire Body, then we bring judgment on ourselves in the form of weakness, sickness, and even sleep or death. I'll share more as I get more, but for now, you might examine how you really feel about the Body of Christ - the weaker parts, the unseemly parts, the parts who hold different doctrines from you, etc. I'm not at the point of conclusion yet, but I'm really intrigued by how different our western independence is from the image I seem to be getting from Paul related to the unity of the Body of Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Golly - the more pictures I see of that place, the more it makes me feel like I'm there. Or maybe it's just more detailed fodder to use in my daydreamin'.

Keep enjoying yourself, Tom.