Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Significant Information

I found it - the significant information you needed in order to make it through the remainder of the day. Did you know that every square inch of human skin contains 20 feet of blood vessels? I don't know if that is based on actual measurement, or extrapolation from some other set of data, but I thought you'd like to know about it. For this and other important facts, check out 20 little known facts about the human body.

Now that I have your attention (I'm certain that I do), let me direct your attention to another little tidbit of information. Did you know that 75% of all people leaving a church service can not identify what the pastor has just talked about in his/her sermon? Did you also know that 50% of the pastors who had just preached the sermon could not name the point of the sermons they had just preached! Hence, the oft repeated scenario:



"Hey, did you hear Preacher A this morning?"


"No, what did he/she say?"


"I don't know, but it was good! You ought to get the recording."



If Preacher A had done what he/she was supposed to do, most hearers could at least communicate the basic outline or most important point of the message. Some of the problem is lazy listeners - but most of the problem is lazy preachers. Let me encourage any aspiring preachers to make sure you know what point you want to make (preferably your point will be the same as the Bible writer was making) before you stand to proclaim the Truth.

3 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

I sent this link to my pastor. :)

Chuck Scott said...

Ouch! Gotta go rewrite

Danielle said...

Tom Mills! You are one of my favorite people. I remember everything you've ever said to me.