Saturday, July 29, 2006

Superman

Debbie and I joined another couple on Thursday evening at "Superman Returns." There really wasn't much different about this installment -- bad guy seeks to dominate the world -- good guy tries to stop him -- bad guy seems to overcome good guy -- good guy ... well, I better stop there. I don't want to spoil the "intricate" (year right) plot. Anyway, the special effects were pretty good (What special effects? You mean he isn't really flying?), and I loved the music. There were obvious "Christ" parallels -- a father sent a son to rescue a race bent on self-destruction -- including a little too obvious scene of Superman floating in the air with his arms outstretched as if he were on an invisible cross. Anyway, I don't anticipate this one will get any kind of Academy Awards, but it was a fun escape for a few minutes and I came away from the movie having been entertained and feeling good. I know I'm not very sophisticated in that, but I kind of like a mindless movie that doesn't challenge me to think in the least in order to know what's going on. All that being said, I will probably see it again when it comes out on DVD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good review Tom. I grew up loving the old Superman movies but haven't gone to see this one because the previews made it look like a two hour episode of the WB's "Smallville". Maybe I'll check it out next date night...