Tuesday, September 05, 2006

We Never Really Grow Up

Growing up is a thing we like to kid ourselves about.
Growing up is when you get to move out of your house and start living on your own -- away from your parents.
Or growing up is when you get married.
Or growing up is when you begin to have children of your own.
Or growing up is watching those children graduate from high school and start life on their own.
Or growing up is when those children get married.
Or growing up is when your children have children.
Or growing up is when your children's children have children.
Or growing up is when you have to make the decision to separate your own parents because one has become unmanageable due to Alzheimer's Disease.
Or...
I'm beginning to wonder if growing up is just a myth. My dad has become increasingly hard to handle. My sister told me that he sat up on the edge of the bed all night last night and refused to lie down. He told her that his mom and dad sat with him. He's told me many times in the past few years that his dad comes to him at night and asks if he can really afford the place he is living. Of course I know what's going on -- but the fact that my 87 year old dad still longs for his parents, and still looks for his dad's advice let's me know that perhaps we never really grow up.

I continue to pray for my parents and their deteriorating health. I pray that the transition will be smoothe...that my mom and dad will handle the separation. I pray for my sisters and me as we take our dad to "the new place" and then have to turn our backs and walk away. Can we do that? Do we have a choice? If this is growing up perhaps that's why....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always figured you would just 'know' when you were grown up.

To look at this in a slightly different angle, I think a big reason why many people never do really grow up is because they never are blessed or released by their parents. Their dad never says, "You are a good, wise son. I trust you to make your own decisions."

The Jewish Barmitzfa is a great example. They say "Your sins are now you're responsibility."

Also, so sorry to hear about your Dad, Tom.

Nancy said...

My heart goes out to you Tom. I am a Caregiver .I go into the clients home,( those who are still able to stay at home.)and am part of a 24/7 team of non medical care givers. Every day I see Jesus in these dear ones. Jesus in His distressing disguise.
I know the Lord is with you as you walk this difficult journey with your parents.

Nancy said...

My heart goes out to you Tom as you walk this difficult journey with your parents.
I am a care giver, and work with Alzheimer patients . Here I have come to see Jesus in His distressing disguises.
Blessing you and your family.

Jerry James said...

I agree with Shawn that being "grown up" is that point where we take responsibility for our own decisions. That is different than thinking of growing up as arriving somewhere. I don't believe we ever grow up in the Lord, but go from glory to glory to glory in a neverending journey.
I was saddened to hear about your parents and agree with you in prayer that their transition from this life to eternity will be bathed in the love of Jesus. We have a blessed hope.