Saturday, September 23, 2006

Surprises Are Tough To Pull Off

Yesterday, September 22, was Alicia's birthday (she's our second born). Marisa (our first born) had planned for some weeks to fly from Kansas City to Madison, Wisconsin (where Alicia and her husband, Ashley, and daughter Aria live) to surprise Alicia for her birthday. The plan was set: Marisa would arrive in Madison around 6:30 pm - just at the time Ashley had planned conveniently go to pick up "pizza" for dinner. When he returned from his pizza run, he would have Marisa with him. Alicia would be surprised - the girls would both cry - it was going to be great. I was the designated driver to get Marisa to the airport. I carried out my job with great skill and efficiency. We left the International House of Prayer parking lot at precisely 1 pm. I drove the speed limit. Marisa and I had a great visit on the way to the KC International Airport. I dropped her off a little before 2 pm - plenty of time to check luggage and make it through security for a 3 pm flight. The plan was working like clock work! I was congratulating myself on several fronts: #1) I didn't spill the beans and kept the secret from Alicia, #2) I drove the speed limit and avoided a ticket from the friendly police officer who was lurking on the shoulder of the road just north of the Missouri River bridge - did I mention that he was on the opposite side of the highway so I wouldn't have gotten a ticket from him even if I had been speeding, but that's beside the point, #3) I delivered Marisa to the correct gate and terminal, #4) I remembered that friendly police officer's position so I avoided a ticket on the return trip, too, and #5) I didn't call Alicia until late in the evening so that I wouldn't spill the beans while Marisa was en route.

This was a truly great day ... Until the phone rang at 4:30 and Marisa was still in Kansas City! It seems the weather was not cooperating in Chicago and so they were holding all flights. Not to worry - she could still make her connecting flight from Chicago to Madison if the plane left KCI in the next half hour. We prayed. 5:30 comes - the phone rings - it's Marisa - she's seated on the plane which is being held at the gate. It will be at least another hour and 45 minutes before her plane can take off. Now, she is certain to miss her connecting flight from Chicago to Madison. "What are you going to do?" I ask. "I don't know," she replied, "I guess I'll wait and see what happens." She hung up, and Debbie and I settled down at Uno: Chicago Grill and Bar for pizza and quesadillas (I had the pizza, Debbie the other). We, of course, discussed Marisa's situation and how disappointed she would be if she didn't get to pull off the surprise of the century.

At 6:30, the phone rang again. "I can't talk long, my phone's battery is about dead and I packed my charger in my suitcase," were the first words out of her mouth. "They canceled my connecting flight to Madison," were the second. "I have to decide if I am going to go on to Chicago tonight, and catch an early flight to Madison in the morning, or if I am coming home and leave Kansas City early enough to make the connection. What do you think I should do?"

Dads love it and hate it when their kids ask those kinds of questions. We love it because they still value our opinions. We hate it because we might give the wrong advice. So I said, "I think it might be better to go on to Chicago and catch the earliest flight you can to Madison in the morning. By the way, is the surprise still in tact?"

"I think so. I've got to go check with the gate attendant." And she hung up. Meanwhile, Debbie and I are trying to decide, "Do we go on to the movie we planned to see, or do we just wait on Marisa to call." Debbie said, "Let's go sit in the movie parking lot and wait on her call." We did that. It was now 7 pm - the movie was to start at 7:10 and still nothing from Marisa.

"Hey, I know what we can do. The same movie starts at another theater at 7:40. Let's forget about the 7:10 showing and drive over to the other theater. That will give Marisa time to call." Sometimes I scare myself I'm so brilliant! We arrived at the (relax, I didn't mean that brilliant thing)...We arrived at the OTHER theater at 7:20...Still no call from Marisa. Debbie asks, "Do we go in or do we wait?" I convinced her to wait a few minutes longer. It's now 7:30...Nothing! We walked up to the ticket window and discovered that the movie didn't start until 7:45 ... Five extra minutes. "Let's go stand outside and wait for just a few more minutes before we buy the tickets," I suggested. 7:35 the phone rang again. It was obvious that she was in tears as she asked me to come pick her up and she would try again in the morning.

Debbie and I headed for KCI to retrieve our very hurt and disappointed daughter. 8:15 we arrive at Terminal A and locate Marisa who is pacing up and down the sidewalk. "It takes 10 minutes to walk from one end of the terminal to the other," she said, "and I've done it 4 times." The ride home was quiet except for Marisa talking to Ashley, finding out that the surprise is still a surprise, and trying to figure out how to keep it that way just a few more hours. We arrived home around 9 pm. At 9:30 I suddenly realized that I had not called Alicia and wished her "Happy Birthday!" So I called, sang the birthday song, and she said, "I wondered if my dad was going to call me today!" If she only knew what I had been going through! But once again in a flash of brilliance, I resisted the urge to explain my evening.

She said, "I kind of hoped all day long that y'all (she still says "y'all" even though she lives in Wisconsin...I raised her right!) would pop in and surprise me!" I said, "How do you know we aren't all standing outside your door at this very moment and I'm calling you just to throw you off?" "I'm going to check right now." "Well, are we there?" "No." (She said that with true Wisconsin flavor...I can't protect her from everything!) We had a good conversation - she heard Marisa's voice in the background - and so she knew her birthday would come and go with no suprises.

Marisa immediately went to bed, and at 4 am she headed back to KCI to catch a 6 am flight to Chicago, then a 10:30 connection to Madison, a short taxi ride from the airport (Ashley was going hunting so he couldn't pick her up at the airport) and the birthday surprise would be just a few hours late. Marisa called at 9 from Chicago (phew!) saying she had gotten on a standby flight at 9:30! She was excited. At 10:30 she called Alicia. As soon as she answered the phone, Marisa rang the doorbell. "Oh no! Someone's' at the door and I'm not dressed! Hold on." She quickly grabbed her robe, looked through the peep hole, saw Marisa's gleaming smile and the whole surprise finally worked!

We called around 11:00 and asked, "What are y'all going to do today?" "GO SHOPPING!"

Happy birthday, Alicia. And happy surprising, Marisa.

3 comments:

Esther Irwin said...

We love Alicia! Happy Birthday from down under!! I remember when Alicia and Ashley first came to NZ as newlyweds and we mistakenly gave them bunkbeds to sleep in the first night. Alicia was all worried but Ashley was like, it's ok honey! We will figure it out. I always wondered how they figured it out, but that would be too much information, for sure! We also gave them 'hotties' or hot water bottles as we naively called them . They had a big laugh about that!!

Jerry James said...

Tom,
Yesterday was my son Elliott's birthday. He figured he would get some happy birthday calls so he left a message asking everyone to sing him a song instead of just a simple "Happy Birthday Elliott" message. He got over 60 calls! I don't even think 60 people know I exist. Pray for this guy . . . he is headed for the night watch.
Loved your birthday day story. You have a really great family!

Anonymous said...

Shopping? I hope they buy us something cool.