Sunday, September 03, 2006

A Dose of Reality

I was passing through Paul's letter to the Philippians today ... reading things I'd underlined and notes in the margin ... I like to do that from time to time ... sometimes I amaze myself at the insight (both good and feeble) I had at the moment I jotted down the notes. Anyway, I'm not going to tell you whether this little tidbit was on the good or feeble side, you decide for yourself, but I am going to share it. Paul was writing to the Philippian Christians from a Roman jail cell (interesting that Paul was delivered by God from a Philippian jail and that deliverance resulted in the people to whom he is now writing becoming Christians). He is talking about people who are preaching the Gospel on the outside of the jail while he preaches from the inside. He shares a real dose of reality when he says, "Some indeed preach Christ from envy and strife..." (Philippians 1:15) Then he goes on to say, "[They] preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerity; supposing to ad affliction to my chains." (Philippians 1:16) In other words, there were people out there preaching Jesus in such a way that they were slamming Paul in the process -- probably pointing out that he was in jail and of course everyone knows that only bad people go to jail. It is obvious that slander of Paul is part of their Gospel message. How's that for an oxymoron!? Using the Gospel as a platform to slander a brother in Christ!!!

But I love Paul's response. "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." (Philippians 1:18)

Do you get that? So people slander me in the process of preaching Christ -- it doesn't matter! As long as Christ is preached. And not only does Paul rejoice in the moment, he makes it his aim to continue to rejoice! "I will rejoice," he says. He jumps on that theme again toward the end of the letter (4:4) when he says, "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I wil say, rejoice!" Her is a man, sitting in prison, not knowing if he will ever get out, knowing people are on the outside slandering him, and rejoicing in the moment, and determining to rejoice in the furture - whether he gets out of jail or not. Now that is something I want to get into my heart. To determine that I will rejoice even before the bad thing happens to me. And not only to determine that, but to actually follow through!

I love this Bible!

1 comment:

Esther Irwin said...

I'm reading Jim Bakker's book, I was wrong, and this passage somehow connects with the time in prison that Jim was repenting and forgiving those who put him into prison. His concern was for his relationship with God and not who did who wrong.